A summer bucket list is the perfect way to make sure that your child enjoys their summer break to the fullest- and that you keep your sanity. It can be hard to come up with ideas for summer activities, but I’ve got you covered. From swimming and playing in the park, to taste test challenges and dance parties, I’ve put together a comprehensive list of summer fun.
My kids are ages 5 and 7, so these ideas are geared towards them, but they can apply to kids older and younger for sure. You can try something new each day, or plan a few activities in advance, whatever works best for you. Get ready to have the best summer ever with the ultimate summer bucket list for kids!
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a small commission if you make a purchase through my link, at no additional cost to you.
What Is A Summer Bucket List?
A summer bucket list is a great way to plan out some of the fun activities that you and your kids want to do over the course of the summer. It’s also a great way to encourage your kids to be creative and come up with ideas themselves. Brainstorming together can be a really rewarding experience for both you and your kids.
Summer bucket lists don’t have to be big, elaborate plans, either. They can be as simple or as complex as you like, and it’s a great way to make sure that your kids get the most out of their summer break.
How To Create A Stress-Free Summer Bucket List For Kids
Creating a stress-free summer bucket list for kids is all about making sure that the activities on the list are fun and age appropriate. That means not trying to do too much too soon. Start with activities that your kids will enjoy and gradually add more complex items as they get older.
Another way to keep it stress free is by planning out achievable activities. Try to stick with simple activities or ones that are within reasonable distance from your home.
And, most importantly, make sure to take some days off and allow your kids to rest and recharge.
120 Awesome Summer Bucket List Ideas For Kids
Now for the best part: The ultimate summer bucket list for kids! Here are 120 great ideas that your kids will love:
THINGS TO DO TOGETHER
- Read books – Check out this list of books for kids to read.
- Bake cookies
- Make homemade pizza
- Blind taste test challenge
- Dance party – These usb disco lights are so fun!
- Grocery store
- Hair salon
- Family devotional – Lots of cool devotionals listed here.
- Board games – Check out these board games for some family fun!
- Play with the dog
- Build a fort
- Make snow cones – We have this snow cone machine and love it.
- Scavenger hunt
- Glow stick bath
- Movie day
- Send cards to family
- Stained glass artwork
- Make tie-dye shirts – This a great tie-dye kit with everything you need.
- Make s’mores
- Random act of kindness
- Lemonade stand
- Nerf gun fight
- Make a time capsule
- Face paint – My kids love this face painting kit!
- Talent show
- Mad Libs – We have this super silly mad libs book.
- Sand art – My kids got this kit for Christmas and it’s perfect!
- Cleaning day – Check out these chore ideas for kids.
- Window crayons – Lots of fun playing with these window crayons.
- Chalk wall
- Cosmic yoga – You can find this fun activity on YouTube.
- Facetime grandparents
- Play Doh
- Kinetic sand
- Puppet show
- Make your own jewelry
- Learn origami – This is a great kit to get kids started.
- Build a domino run
- Start a journal – This is a simple gratitude journal with prompts for kids.
- Mail a card to someone
- Paper airplanes
- Dry erase laminated printouts – Check out my post here on diy laminated activities.
- Make a craft
- Start a pen pal
- Color on giant paper roll
- Rice sensory bin
- Create a recipe
- Play Osmo – My kids love playing Osmo on their iPads- lots of games!
- Redecorate bedroom
- Creative Cube – Use these cubes to create fun activities!
- Wash the car/bike/scooter
- Plastic pool
- Bounce house – We’ve had this bounce house for a few years.
- Throw frisbee
- Bikes/scooters/rollerblades – My kids got into rollerblading this year and it’s been so fun!
- Water sprayers – Love these water spray backpacks.
- Paint rocks
- Stomp rocket – Who doesn’t love jumping on a stomp rocket!
- Run through sprinklers
- Water balloons
- Fly a kite
- Sidewalk chalk
- Climb a tree
- Plant something
- Collect bugs – This has become a daily thing for us with our collection kits.
- Make a bird feeder
- Play in the rain
- Find shapes in clouds
- Obstacle course
- Hula hoop
- Start a rock collection – Or paint some glow in the dark rocks!
- Feed the ducks
- Flashlight tag – Check out even more Outdoor Night Games.
- Sail paper boats
- School workbooks – Just purchased this book for summer and it looks awesome!
- Kids subscription boxes
- Do a science experiment
- Create your own book
- Summer reading challenge – Create your own fun reading challenge this summer!
OUT & ABOUT OUTDOORS
- Splash pad
- Nature walk
- Bike trail
- Mini golf
- Have a picnic
- Farmer’s market
- Watch the sunset
- Amusement park
- Water park
- Sports game
- Attend a concert
OUT & ABOUT INDOORS
- Trampoline park
- Science center
- Movie theater
- Ice cream shop
- Tour the fire station
- Visit nursing home
- Volunteer somewhere
- Visit the humane society
The Number One Summer Bucket List Hack
The number one summer bucket list hack is to make your ideas visible! Print it out or hang it up somewhere that your kids can easily see it. This will help them stay motivated and excited to try out new things throughout the summer. It will also keep them from forgetting about all the fun things they’ve done and all the activities they still have left to do.
Download Your Free Printable
Download your free summer bucket list printable here. Feel free to change things up to fit what works for you and your kids!
I hope you’ve found this summer bucket list for kids helpful. With so many fun activities to choose from, your child is sure to have a great summer!
For even more inspiration, check out these 75 Dollar Tree Items Your Kids Need For Summer via Tiny Bit of Play.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.