For most people, a family beach vacation is one of the highlights of the year. Whether it’s a week-long getaway or just a day trip to the shore, making sure you have everything you need for your fun in the sun can be a daunting task. But don’t worry! With this comprehensive family beach packing list, you will be prepared for anything that comes your way and able to make lasting memories with those you love.
So let’s start planning – use this ultimate guide as your checklist when packing up for your next beach excursion as a family!
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a small commission if you make a purchase through my link, at no additional cost to you.
What To Pack For A Family Beach Vacation
A family beach vacation can be a fun-filled adventure, full of exciting memories and unforgettable moments. Before embarking on your trip, it’s important to pack everything you’ll need to make the most out of your time at the beach.
Taking a trip with kids always go more smoothly when you are prepared and organized. We can’t predict everything that will happen, but having things in order usually makes things easier. Taking the time to look over this family beach packing list will help everyone have a good time!
With a little careful planning and preparation, you can ensure that your family beach vacation is a good one 🙂
Clothes & Accessories For The Beach
When it comes to clothes and accessories for the beach, there are a few must-haves that will keep you looking and feeling cool. Whether you only care about being comfortable, or you want to look a little more stylish while soaking up the sun, this list is for you.
This is a detailed list of suggestions, but make it your own according to your style and how long your beach vacation is. With the right clothes and accessories, you’ll be ready to hit the beach with a peaceful mind.
- Swimsuit – Most of my swimsuits come from Aerie. They have cute two piece bathing suits and they also have long torso options for one piece suits.
- Cover up – This cover up is from Amazon and looks adorable with the crochet detail.
- Workout clothes
- Tennis shoes
- Water Shoes – Great water shoes for kids!
- Goodr Sunglasses – These sunglasses are the best! I don’t know why it took me so long to buy a pair of Goodr sunglasses, but I’m so glad I did.
- Sojos Sunglasses – Another great option.
- Tote bag
Toiletries To Bring To The Beach
While you may not need a full makeup kit or hair styling tools, there are a few key items that can make your beach day much more comfortable. For example, a pack of baby wipes for quick cleanups or refreshing your face. A travel-sized bottle of dry shampoo can also come in handy for rejuvenating sweaty, salty strands. With these simple toiletries on hand, you’ll be ready for a fun-filled and worry-free day at the beach.
- Toiletry Bag – Love this toiletry bag! It was the first items chosen at one of my annual Favorite Things Parties.
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Hair Tools
- Elastic Hair Ties
- Lip Balm
- Contact Lenses / Case / Solution
- Hand Sanitizer
Medicine & Sun Care For The Beach
Splashing in the waves and soaking up the sun can be a blast, but it’s essential to take care of your skin in the process. Sunscreen is non-negotiable, but you might also want to consider adding a few other goodies to your beach bag to keep your skin healthy in the long run.
Having different medicine on hand and first aid items is also essential for a beach trip. You never know when a kid might strike or fever, or have a reaction to something. It’s always better to be prepared.
- First Aid Kit – Always good to have on hand.
- Prescription Medicine
- Stomach Relief Medicine
- Allergy Medicine
- Cold/Flu Medicine
- Triple Antibiotic
- Hydrocortisone Cream
- Sunscreen – So many options out there! These work best for my family- Supergoop (I love the Play and the Glow Stick), Blue Lizard (I also use their face stick for the kids), Hawaiian Tropic (Always a favorite).
- Refillable Roll On Sponge Applicator – Recent purchase and love it!
- Aloe Vera
- Self Tan Kit
- Baby Powder
- Bug Spray
Having the right beach gear can make all the difference in your experience. From beach chairs to wagons, there are a few essential items that you won’t want to forget. And of course, a few extra items that will set you up for a fun and relaxing day on the beach.
- Beach Wagon – A beach wagon is a must when you have kids. I borrowed one from a friend a couple years ago, and ordered one for us immediately after the trip. Plus- the one I linked is half the cost of the more expensive brands and it works great!
- Mesh Beach Bag – Highly recommend a mesh bag for all the sand toys and towels. This bag makes things so much easier when packing up.
- Cooler Backpack
- Beach Towel
- Beach Blanket
- Waterproof Phone Case – It’s easy, cheap, and less stress.
- Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Beach Chairs – Will always be my favorite chairs.
- Beach Tent
- Puddle Jumper
Travel Gear & Luggage For The Beach
Choosing the right travel gear and luggage can enhance your beach experience and make your vacation more comfortable and enjoyable. It is important to have sturdy and durable luggage that can withstand the conditions at the beach. Investing in good travel gear and luggage for the beach can make your trip stress-free and allow you to make the most of your time enjoying the sun, sand, and sea.
- Packing Cubes
- Car Seat Organizer – My newest purchase for travel and I love it!
- iPad cases
- Pad Pillow – These are great for home or travel.
- Travel Tray
Beach Toys & Entertainment
When it comes to a day at the beach, having the right toys and entertainment can make all the difference. There’s a certain joy that comes with lounging on the sand, soaking up the sun and listening to the sound of ocean waves crashing nearby. But add in some beach toys like a frisbee, volleyball, or giant shovels and suddenly you’ll find your energy levels rising.
If you’re looking for something a bit more laid-back, consider bringing a good book or a portable speaker to play your favorite tunes. With a little something for everyone, the possibilities for fun in the sun are endless at the beach.
- Sand Toys – So many beach toys out there! These are a few of our favorites- Collapsible buckets, Cupcake play set, Shell collecting bags.
- Boogie Board
- Beach Games
- Art supplies
- Board games – Lots of good board games listed in my Family Game Night post.
- Create a Face Sticker Set
Personal Items & Documents To Take To The Beach
Heading to the beach is a perfect way to unwind and relax, but often we forget to bring all the necessary personal items and documents. It is essential to pack your sunscreen, lip balm, hat, water bottle, towel, and beach attire. However, you should also bring your identification card, medical insurance card, and a little cash, just in case.
While enjoying the beach, you never know what may happen, so it’s better to be safe than sorry. Don’t let being unprepared spoil your time at the beach.
- Drivers license
- Credit cards
- Health insurance
- Flight / Hotel / Car rental information
- Chargers – This portable charger was great to have while traveling.
Miscellaneous Items For The Beach
There are a number of must-have items you’ll want to bring along to the beach, but what about the less obvious things? The miscellaneous items for the beach that can make all the difference in your enjoyment. These little extras can turn a basic day at the beach into a fun-filled adventure you won’t soon forget.
- Water bottles – I love my Simple Modern Tumbler and the Kids version.
- Liquid IV – We always have this on hand for extra hydration.
- Misting fan – My kids think this is so cool.
- Extra towels & linens
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Water wipes
- Laundry detergent
- Trash bags
- Ziploc bags
- Nightlights – Probably an item most people don’t think about, but with kids I take these on every trip!
Having a great family beach vacation requires some planning. You need to make sure you have all the essentials so that your trip is memorable and enjoyable. Pack whatever clothes and accessories will keep your family comfortable and safe at the beach, in addition to toiletries, medicine, sun care products, beach gear, travel gear, beach toys, and personal items. Don’t forget to check passports are up to date if you’re traveling abroad! And make sure any specific items required for medical conditions or young children are taken care of.
It may seem daunting when preparing for a beach vacation, but this family beach packing list should help everyone have a great time! With careful preparation & creativity, you can guarantee your next family beach trip will be amazing!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.